Sunday 8 April 2012

One week ...

So one week into the thousand mile challenge ... and what I have I done and what have I learned?

Well ...

I logged after two days and after three, so here's my week summary:

  • 1 April - 1.5 miles run, 12 miles cycle 
  • 2 April - 3 miles walk
  • 3 April - 6 miles cycle
  • 4 April - zero :-(
  • 5 April - 6 miles cycle
  • 6 April - 15 miles cycle
  • 7 April - 1.5 miles run, 1.5 miles walk
So my end of week one total is ... 46.5 miles

That's ... ok. I think.

I have listened while walking to my first downloaded audio book (getting there ...). I have found my phone increasingly unreliable as a measure of distance as it periodically switches itself off, but I can usually work it out well enough (the above doesn't include a wander around Exmouth, or a wander around Tiverton, but does cover anything that was at least half a mile in a go ....). 

I have learned that having a challenge on does - as always - make me do more than I would otherwise, and get me out of the house, even when tired of an evening. One or two days off a week is only realistic, but means that the other days I have to get the miles done. Summer evenings will help, but the challenge will rely, I know already, on cycling the distances at the weekends. Walking and running are good - but I am not fit enough to run far and walking takes just so long ...

We shall see. I am cautiously optimistic. But a caution heavily tempered with the knowledge this is week one and only week one. Already it feels like a burden - as well as a badge of success. 

Week one is down anyway, with 46.5 miles logged.

And today, the start of week two, I have managed 6 miles cycling and 2.5 miles walking. (If only all virtuous activities counted then both yesterday and today's gardening would count as well ... but you can't have everything!)

So thus far I am on track and even very very slightly ahead. Though it is, as I mentioned the weekend, and without weekends getting me ahead I will not be even close!

Wish me luck, dear reader - or just a fair, following wind, a gentle warmth, rain at night when I'm asleep (for the garden!), and of course determination!

Week one of the #1000milesin6months done and dusted.






No comments:

Post a Comment